- Firstly you might want to warm the attendees up a little before the meeting. Make sure that whoever is chairing it is clear that you will be presenting an idea. Get them to give you the platform to speak. If the person in charge gives you the space people will be more likely to listen to you.
- Have your arguments ready. Know what it is that you want to say and be clear and direct
- Anticipate the objections.. this is easier if you knw the people around the table, but even if you don't you can guess at what others might think of your idea and you can pre-empt their arguments before they voice them.
- Find allies in advance, win people over before the meeting
- Take a friend with you! what can the friend do? they can repeat your idea back to the group.
- Researchers have found that hearing the same thing twice is sufficient for participants to alter recall the idea as the main agenda or theme for the meeting, regardless of who brought it up.
- So if at first no-one picks up your idea; say it again.. get someone else to repeat it and you could be in for making a powerful impact!
for more help, expertise and advice on developing your career success visit: www.maryhopecareersuccess.com
Sunday, 20 May 2012
If you like me repeat what i say! being effective in meetings
Getting your message across in a meeting can be a real challenge. Often it is hard to get into the conversation and then your idea may not be picked up. Skillful influencers can have a few tricks up their sleeves.